Luhačovice, 763 26
The association Luhovaný Vincent has been organizing a festival of the same name since 2009. It strives to become a cultural platform for the 21st century spa town, despite not having a space of its own. Nevertheless, a recent generous support of the Thienen-Adlerflycht family—owners of Chateau Luhačovice—has enabled Luhovaný Vincent to launch their 2021 pilot artist residency programme for performing arts.
The Luhačovice Chateau was built during the years 1730–1738 by count Wolfgang Serényi. His family lived on site until the end of World War II. In 1945, the chateau was confiscated by the then-Czechoslovak national administration. Chateau Luhačovice is a one-story building with a simple Baroque facade and a tower. There is an adjacent chateau chapel and a park. Because of the building’s inconspicuous design and its location in densely populated urban quarters of the renowned spa town Luhačovice, it has remained fairly unknown to visitors. In the second half of the 20th century the chateau was adapted to house a kindergarten, and later, until 2020, an elementary art school and a group home for children and the youth. It was finally returned to the owners—the Thienen-Adlerflycht family, descendants of the Serényi family—in 2016/2017. The first artists residencies, “Literary Residencies in Luhačovice” (there were four, and they were not the last), focused on writers and took place at the chateau with support of the Thienen-Adlerflycht family in autumn 2020. They were organized by the Nadační fond Pramen Luhačovice, and the spaces were adapted for the writers’ needs. The remaining part of the building is currently empty but able to be put in operation. In 2021, a reconstruction of the chateau has begun. The owners’ vision is to open the chateau once again to the public and operate a cultural and educational centre focusing on tourism.
- A common room suitable for work meetings, rehearsals, and so on. For up to 10 people (first floor).
- 3 connected halls, empty, (39 m2 / 38 m2 / 50 m2) that could be used as studios / rehearsal rooms; floor is covered with linoleum (second floor).
- Lavatories and showers (on both first and second floor).
- A large public park, which could be also used during the residencies.
- Available 24/7
- Option 1: for up to 2 people – a bedroom with a double bed and a kitchen with basic equipment (a double burner range, refrigerator, kettle, dishes) (first floor).
- Option 2: for more people we can arrange for/make possible an alternative lodging (mattress/yoga mat, sleeping bag).
- Option 3: for more people we can arrange for lodging at a nearby bed and breakfast (details must be agreed on in advance).
By prior arrangement with the host organization, the following could be made available:
- Cushioned dance floor, lighting and sound equipment, projector, or other equipment, and a photo and video documentation from rehearsals.
- Meals (the nearest restaurant is 50 m from the chateau; the town’s centre and Albert grocery store are 1 km from the chateau).
The first 2021 artist residency will take place in spring in connection with the 11th edition of the Luhovaný Vincent Festival (24 – 27 June 2021). In a section focused on theatre and dance, the Luhačovice multi-genre festival features a wide range of alternative theatre forms, including site-specific performances—those are particularly supported by the newly launched artist residency programme. The festival’s organizers prefer projects created as co-productions for the festival or those adapted to fit the public spaces in Luhačovice. The residency programme should help with meeting this goal. The festival thus prompts creation of new and unique performances.
The artist residency programme’s goals include:
- Provide a space for concentrated and creative work in an inspiring environment of the spa town Luhačovice.
- Support artists‘ mobility outside the main cultural centres.
- Use the potential offered by the spaces of the Luhačovice Chateau and seek opportunities of its further use for cultural activities.
- Re-introduce the tradition of artists visits in Luhačovice.
- Realize the artist residency output (or as a work in progress) at the Luhovaný Vincent Festival. We prefer projects that could debut at the festival.
Artists interested in a short-term residency 1-3 weeks in May or June should email us at email@example.com with information about themselves or their company (CV, portfolio, and so on) and a few words about how and why they would like to use our space.
Photographs by Pavel Malaník