Jihlava, 586 01
- DIOD is a space for independent projects located in a renovated Sokol Hall in the city of Jihlava. It opened on 1 April 2011. As a cultural centre of the region of Vysočina, it offers a well-equipped ‘black box’ with space dispositions and room capacity that could be adapted to any project. The dramaturgy of the theatre is open and offers production of art and social projects of region-based authors and organizers. At the same time, we show theatre and dance projects from the entire Czech Republic; by doing so we promote contemporary art in the region. DIOD is a centre open to communication about social and art issues, where values of community life and civil society are fulfilled. Founding DIOD marked yet another spot on the map of the Czech Republic where independent art companies are presented and can create. DIOD is not a legal subject; it is operated by Sokol Gymnastics Jihlava (Tělocvičná jednota Sokol Jihlava). The City of Jihlava is a partner of the DIOD project.
STUDIOS / REHEARSAL ROOMS:
- ‘Black box’ (12 × 18 m) without a fixed stage or auditorium; everything is to be set up based on a particular project using wooden platforms (1 × 2 m each) and legs 20–100 cm in height.
- There are two rectangular constructions in the ceiling for aerial arts (with permanent attachments into the ceiling) in the height of 5.7 m.
- A fixed projection screen (10 × 3.5 m).
- There is a dressing room and a kitchen; in addition, a coffee shop/bar is located in the building.
- We do not offer accommodation, only workspace.
- A dance cushion floor 8 × 12 m.
- Lighting and sound equipment appropriate for the space; a list of equipment available to rent is posted on our website diod.cz.
- An option to rent an outdoor structure for aerial arts, landing surfaces, aerial silks, hoop and trapeze.
- Weekly residency is only possible on certain dates during the summer holidays. During the school year only 4 days (Thursday to Sunday).